Statement of Faith
1. We believe that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three Persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. (Genesis 1:1; Deuteronomy 6:4; Isaiah 44:8 and 48:16; Matthew 28:19-20; John 10:30; Hebrews 1:3).
The Father is infinite and eternal while being perfectly holy, wise, powerful, and loving. We believe that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men; that He hears and answers prayer; and that He saves from sin and death all those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2; Psalm 102:27; John 3:16 and 4:24; 1 Timothy 1:17; Titus 1:3).
Jesus Christ is God’s only begotten Son. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, miracles, and teachings, His substitutionary atoning death, bodily resurrection, ascension into heaven, perpetual intercession for His people, and personal, visible return to earth. (Isaiah 7:14; Micah 5:2; Matthew 1:23; Mark 16:19; Luke 1:34-35; John 1:1-2, 8:58 and 11:25; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 1 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 1:8; 1 John 1:2; Revelation 1:8).
The Holy Spirit is God. We believe that He convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment to regenerate, sanctify, and empower for ministry all who believe in Christ; that He indwells every believer in Jesus Christ; and that He is an abiding Helper, Teacher, and Guide ( Genesis 1:2; Psalm 33:6 John 6:13, 14:16-17, 16:8-11 Acts 1:8; Acts 5:3-4, 2 Corinthians 3:18; John 16:8-11; Romans 8:26 and 15:13,16; Hebrews 9:14),
2. We believe that the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the Word of God, fully inspired without error, and the infallible rule of faith and practice; that the Word of God is the foundation upon which this church operates and the basis for which this church is governed; and that the Word of God supersedes any earthly law that is contrary to the Holy Scriptures. (Isaiah 28:13; Nehemiah 8:8; John 17:17; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; 1 Peter 1:23-25; 2 Peter 1:3-4 and 1:21).
4. We believe that all people are sinners by nature and, therefore, are under condemnation; and that God saves and regenerates (based upon faith in Jesus, by the Holy Spirit) those who repent of their sins and confess Jesus Christ as Lord. (Acts 8:15-17; Ephesians 2:1-3, 8-9; Romans 3:23 and 5:8; Titus 3:5)
We believe that God has ordained the local church as a community of His own special people; that we are set apart primarily to worship and please Him; and that, while we believe strongly in church membership, we practice what is often called an 'informal church membership' as we exhort, comfort, and encourage one another. (Hebrews 3:13)
We believe the Lord Jesus Christ instituted two ordinances for the church: (a) full-immersion water baptism of believers, and (b) the Lord’s Supper; and that both are to be observed in obedience to our Lord Jesus Christ as acts of love and devotion, serving as demonstrations of our living faith in Christ. (Matthew 28:19; Luke 22:19-20; Acts 2:38; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26).
6. We believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ which is His personal, visible return to earth and the establishment of His millennial kingdom; and that this will be the resurrection of the body, the final judgment for all, resulting in eternal blessing of the righteous and endless separation of the wicked. (Matthew 16:27; Acts 1:11; Revelation 19:11-16, 20:11-15)
7. We believe in a literal Heaven and a literal Hell; that all those who place their faith, hope, and trust in Jesus Christ will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord; and that those who reject Jesus’ free gift of salvation will spend eternity separated from the Lord. (Psalm 9:17; Matthew 5:3, 5:22, 18:9 and 25:31-34; Mark 9:42-49; Luke 12:5; John 3:18; Hebrews 12:23; 1 Peter 1:4; Revelation 14:10-11 and 20:11-15)
8. We believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church, where all believers will meet the Lord in the air and be taken out of this world prior to the Tribulation that will come upon the earth. (Isaiah 26:20; Matthew 24:29-31; Luke 21:36; Romans 1:18, 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10, 4:13-16 and 5:9; 2 Peter 2:7-9; Revelation 3:10, 5:7-10 and 7:13-14)
9. We believe it is God who instituted monogamous marriage, celibate singleness, and the institution of family; that this means all sexuality, all sexual identity, and all sexual proclivities are to be submitted to the authority of God as expressed in His word. (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:4-6,12; John 4:16-18; Romans 1:18-32; I Corinthians 5:11, 6:9-11, 6:18-20, 7:1-3 and 7:8-9; Galatians 5:19-21; Ephesians 5:3-7; 1 Timothy 1:9-11)
We believe that marriage is a covenant relationship brought together by God and is between a man and a woman; and that the marriage is an expression of the love of Jesus for His church and, therefore, should be pure. (Matthew 19:5, Ephesians 5:25-28, and 32)
We believe predispositions, desires, and temptations of sexuality outside of God’s plan are not sinful in and of themselves, but that giving into them in thought and deed are. (Matthew 5:28, 1 Thessalonians 4:1-8)
We believe that God loves all people (and we accept all people--yet we desire all people to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ in all areas of their life); and that the power of God includes the ability to transform all areas of life (including sexuality) to the perfect and loving will of God. (Psalm 51:10, Ezekiel 18:31, Romans 12:2, and Titus 3:5)
Have a question about our Statement of Faith at Shoreline Calvary? Get in touch with a person on our lead team directly by clicking the button below.